Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Dachau Concentration Camp


When arriving to Dachau Concentration Camp many different emotions were rushing through my head. It was hard for me to explore this camp and comprehend all of the gruesome events that occurred there. It was even harder for me to believe that one of my close family friends had to endure the impoverishment and genocide at Dachau. 
            At the entrance gates of the camp the words “Arbeit Macht Frei” are written on the gate, meaning work makes you free. It was made very clear throughout the entire camp that these prisoners were seen as useless and the Nazis did everything in their power to make them believe that they were useless. The entire camp felt eerie but so different than I had expected. Many parts of the camp had been renewed and all of the barracks had been demolished besides two. Even though these renovations were made I was still sick to my stomach knowing about the horrific events that occurred there. Hearing about prisoners months and months of starvation and dehydration, cruel experiments that were performed, and the genocide that occurred there made it more real to me when I experienced it. Each different part of the concentration camp was an eye-opening experience. It is hard for me to put to words the different emotions that I was feeling while standing in such a devastating place of history. But, it was incredible to witness with my own eyes something that I have only read about in textbooks and seen in pictures.
            Although I was lucky enough to experience this concentration camp I will never be able to understand the severity and cruelty that took place.  Knowing that each prisoner lost so much and was treated as if they were useless sickness me. After leaving the camp I find myself to be much more fortunate than ever before and I will never forget the impression that Dachau Concentration Camp left on me.



No comments:

Post a Comment