Monday, March 31, 2014

A Reflection of CIMBA


It was the first day of CIMBA and I had just arrived to the beautiful Paderno Del Grappa. I was frantically trying to find my room, unpack my clothes, and meet the other study abroad students. Soon after organizing my room we had a mandatory meeting in the Demarchi Room. As I sat down, between my two friends from home, I looked around and was overwhelmed by all of the unfamiliar faces. As Dr. Al and the rest of the CIMBA staff informed us of valuable information that we needed to know upon our stay in Italy one thing came to me as a surprise. “Look around, by the end of this program you will know everyone in this room, you will become a family”, stated Dr. Al. I laughed with my two friends and thought it was impossible that within three short months I would know everyone in the room and become close enough to call them family. However, that is exactly what happened.

Within the first couple months I had already met so many new friends that have changed my life for the better. It is crazy that it took this large group of students to go half way around the world to form friendships that could have been formed from a few miles away. I have become such great friends with people who attend the University of Iowa with me that I never would have known if I was not in this program. I feel exceptionally blessed to have experienced this program and have met all of these remarkable people on the way. I am particularly proud of the way I have changed as a person over these three months. Throughout the LIFE program I have conquered my fears and become more self-confident. Each new friend that I have met has taught me something valuable about life and has helped me reach out to my full potential. Each destination traveled has left a mark on my heart; also teaching me something unique and leaving me with divine satisfaction. No matter what my destination is, traveling will be a never-ending learning experience and I hope I can partake in something as wonderful as CIMBA again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment